Keep up to date with Speaker Law Firm!
Our In The News page is where you can find out what's new with the Firm and our attorneys.
- Steve garnered a victory for our client in a very lengthy custody appeal. Ruth E Ploski v David L Wisz, Docket No. 348792. Read the Opinion here.
- Liisa co-authored and article with Scott Bassett, Anne Argiroff, Judith Curtis, Kevin Gentry and Trish Haas titled "The New Domestic Relations Final Order Rule", the team article has been published in The Michigan Bar Journal.
- Liisa Speaker was named one of Michigan Top 100 attorneys by Super Lawyers.
- Steve obtained a motion for stay in a criminal forfeiture case.
- Three Great Victories:
- September 10, 2019: Our former associate Andrea Muroto Bilabaye obtained a reversal of the trial court's adverse possession decision.
- September 12, 2019: We had a great victory today in the Court of Appeals. In the published opinion in Jackson v Pennington, the Court of Appeals vacated the trial court order modifying custody and reinstated the prior custody order, granting our client full physical custody!
- September 19, 2019: Liisa and Jennifer won another custody appeal for a client who had been denied a chance to present evidence before the trial court changed custody. The Court of Appeals remanded for a de novo hearing AND retained jurisdiction!
- September 18, 2019: The first episode of In The Name of The Law aired on WLAJ ABC 53. The legal talkshow is hosted by Liisa and features Mary Chartier, Steve Sinas and Amy Bailey!
- September 21, 2019: Liisa was re-elected to the council of the State Bar of Michigan’s Family Law Section.
- September 21, 2019: Liisa presented at the Family Law Section’s program on the 20-year review of the family court system, about problems with trial court decisions.
- September 25, 2019: Liisa presented to GRBA-FLS on Making Your Best Record (preserving issues in family law cases).
- September 25, 2019: Speaker Law Firm obtained a victory from the Michigan Supreme Court in a child custody appeal (Grooms v Huntzinger) – remanded to the Court of Appeals as on leave granted after the trial court imposed an improper parenting time schedule for an infant.
- June 11, 2019: Jennifer does it again! The Court of Appeals granted a stay and granted an application, on a post judgment issue involving the interpretation of a judgment of divorce.
May 7, 2019: Liisa and fellow attorney Trish Oleska Haas filmed an Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) webcast on Family Law Appeals!
May 28, 2019: Jennifer obtained a peremptory reversal from COA on enforcing JOD when there were concealed assets. Our client can return to trial court to modify the support award.
May 28, 2019: Speaker Law Firm obtained a reverse and remand in a custody and domicile case.
- April 2, 2019: The Speaker Law Firm's 12th Anniversary!
- April 10, 2019: Liisa argued two adoption cases in the Michigan Supreme Court.
- April 18, 2019: Jennifer received a victory in an unpublished opinion in Rainwater v Rainwater
- April 18, 2019: Steve received a victory in an unpublished opinion in Hyman v Hyman
- Liisa's updated Appellate Procedure chapter in the Lexis Nexis MI Family Law treatise has been released.
- March 14, 2019: Published opinion came out in In re AGD Minor, argued by Liisa.
- March 26, 2019: Steve received a victory in an unpublished opinion in Palmer v Anaya
- March 28, 2019: Liisa moderated a child welfare session at the 2019 Appellate Bench Bar Conference.